Sunday, May 18, 2014

Water Color Play Day

http://onlinecardclasses.com/watercolor/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WC_participant.pngFriday was a "play day" over at Watercolor for Card Makers, and I started out with one of the techniques shown by Mr. Tim Holtz, but then went off on a tangent...not a bad tangent .

The technique was mono printing. Taking various mini distress ink pads and inking up a stencil, then spritzing it with water and smooshing it into a piece of watercolor paper.  The open spaces should be highlighted.

I think I did not use enough ink on the rays stencil, so I did it again over the top.  Still not happy with the result, I sprayed the entire surface with water.  No image, but boy did I love the background of mustard seed and dried marigold I ended up getting, one can almost see the rays if you squint just right.  So on to plan B.

My second favorite class, was the Stencil class and I was itching to use some embossing paste again.  My panel was not 100% dry, so the white embossing paste picked up some color.  I used another TH Stencil, Bubbles for the dots,  just placed the embossing paste on opposite corner areas of the card and left it to dry... no really, I left it alone...no glitter, no heat gun.

I went on to try another technique, coloring on vellum. I stamped my image in black, then on the backside used derwernt inktense pencils to color the image.  I used a bit of water to spread it about, as my blender pen had dried up! Water gives vellum an interesting texture.  It was all warpy...but I was going to make this work.  I fussy cut the image and embraced the non flat structure of the sunflower.  I mounted it on to the front of my watercolor piece with clear foam and then added an edge punched strip and some gold thread and a feel better sentiment from the same Lawn Fawn stamp set as the flower. All was adhered to a card base to complete the card.

It was so much fun playing and I love where my piece ended up.  This one probably won't go into my notebook except as a photograph...it really needs to be mailed to someone who needs cheering up.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a play date!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Lovely card! I've got to try the techniques from Day 10!

Greta said...

Wowzer, Cat! Wish I could "play" & end up with something like this! I love everything about this beauty!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Gorgeous end result!

Martha said...

What a STRIKING card this is, Cat!
I love the texture! Beautifully done!

Barb Ghig said...

Oh, Cat...this is AMAZING!!! I love your vellum flower so much...in fact, I think you had the best idea by using your inktense pencils on the back...it adds a richness to the colors on the petals and leaves! And, I really love how you created your background with embossing paste...so artistic!

Leslie Hanna said...

Look at you getting all messy and crafty! Don't you just love it when a plan turns into a happy accident and you still love it, even if it's not what you started out trying to make? This is the best hobby ever! :)